Blank Rome is an Am Law 100 firm with 15 offices and nearly 700 attorneys who provide comprehensive legal and advocacy services to clients operating in the United States and around the world. Our professionals have built a reputation for their leading knowledge and experience across a spectrum of industries and are recognized for their commitment to pro bono work in their communities. Since our inception in 1946, Blank Rome’s culture has been dedicated to providing top-level service to all of our clients and has been rooted in the strength of our diversity and inclusion initiatives. Our commitment to our core values and dedication to providing a supportive and inclusive work environment, allows the firm to attract and retain the brightest in the industry.
The Senior Manager of Attorney Relations will play a vital role in the career development, progression, and retention of the firm’s high-caliber attorney talent, overseeing the attorney evaluation and feedback processes, facilitating/providing coaching to attorneys, participating in the attorney promotions and compensation processes, and assisting in the expansion of our alumni program. In this role, the Senior Manager of Attorney Relations will focus their efforts on fostering a positive work environment, enhancing attorney professional growth, and promoting long-term engagement and success. Working in collaboration with the Professional Development, Recruiting, Diversity and Inclusion, and Practice Management teams, this Senior Manager of Attorney Relations supports all levels of attorneys across all offices, and across all practice groups.
This role has a hybrid working arrangement. Potential candidates must live within commuting distance of our Philadelphia or Washington, D.C. office to be onsite 2-3 days per week. In this role, you will report to the Chief Legal Talent Officer.
- Execute and enhance on legal talent initiatives related to attorney career progression, and continue to innovate and improve the firm’s offerings in response to the ever-changing landscape.
- Oversee and continue to refine our comprehensive performance management processes to achieve 99% participation among firm lawyers including year-end reviews, mid-year check-ins, and continuous and real-time meaningful and productive feedback.
- Collaborate with Practice Group Leaders and Professional Development to coordinate review and feedback criteria with the continued assessment and development of skills and standards for performance and progression.
- Serve as a trusted advisor, resource, and coach for attorneys seeking guidance on career progression, goals, advancement, work-related challenges, and transition. Act as a strategic advisor to Practice Group Leaders.
- Conduct stay interviews and exit interviews with attorneys.
- Analyze feedback from those interviews to identify trends, challenges, and opportunities for enhancing attorney engagement and retention, and collaborate with other teams to recommend, advocate for, and develop, and enhance retention initiatives.
- Support the expansion of our alumni program, in collaboration with Attorney Recruiting and HR, which is aimed at fostering strong relationships with former attorneys to foster community and connection for attorneys that previously worked at the firm.
- Work with Attorney Recruiting, HR, and Business Development to establish and maintain regular communication channels with alumni, and participate in organizing events and providing opportunities for networking, knowledge sharing, and additional business development opportunities.
- Assist with the management and execution of the associate compensation process and the lawyer promotions process, ensuring that the firm continues to attract, motivate, and retain talented attorneys.
- Collaborate with Professional Development on training programs and other initiatives based on feedback to further attorney development and address any concerns or areas of improvement.
- Coordinate outplacement coaching services for attorneys transitioning out of the firm to ensure they have career guidance, resume assistance, interview preparation, and job search support, and in-house placements where possible and appropriate.
- Serve as a resource and point of contact for the Associates Committee.
- Perform other responsibilities as assigned.
- Work additional hours as needed to fulfill job requirements.
The above essential functions represent the general nature and level of responsibilities for this position and is not intended to be an all-inclusive list. The firm may modify and amend any job description at any time in its sole discretion.
- 5+ years of experience in a law firm.
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- Certification in coaching or human resources preferred or JD with prior experience as an associate in an Am Law 100 firm.
- Demonstrated ability to interact effectively with individuals at all levels of the firm in a positive and professional manner with a client-service focus.
- Exceptional verbal and written communication, interpersonal skills, research, analysis, and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to self-direct, manage multiple priorities, analyze needs, and implement solutions.
- Ability to handle confidential matters with attention to detail.
- Ability to work collaboratively in a team environment and enjoy being an active contributor.
- Strong technical and computer skills including a proficiency in MS Word, Outlook, and Excel required; PowerPoint and viDesktop a plus.
- Promote positive work habits, including effective and timely communication, teamwork, and demonstrating respect for colleagues.
- Contribute to providing the highest quality of service to internal and external clients.
- Take appropriate initiative and ownership of job responsibilities while ensuring the assignments/job duties are performed successfully and on time.
- Understand and abide by firm policies and embrace firm values.
- Ability to maintain regular attendance and work regularly scheduled hours.
- Ability to sit for long periods of time, type, and handle light lifting (files, copy paper, etc.) in a professional office environment.
- Comply with safe work practices including compliance with the firm’s COVID-19 policies and safety measures.
Blank Rome is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity or expression, national origin, citizenship status, age, disability, genetic information, or any other status protected by law.
Our core values of respect for the individual, the community, and the law are clearly demonstrated in our ability to recruit and develop a diverse group of exceptionally talented attorneys and professional staff who enable us to best serve our clients and our communities.